Tuesday 24 July 2007

Ra Samye Day 2(b)

Tuesday 2:52 p.m.
I was lying on the bench on the island near the Stupa for the last hour and a half recovering from lunch. The gong bashing doesn't start again till quarter past three, so I thought I'd share with you bloggies some stuff about corpses and getting one of your own to live in. This is from Glenn H. Mullin's translation of the Three Inspirations.

You get the dead body and put it in your hut, sitting up, dressed with fine clothes, garlands, etc. Then you do some breathing juju on it.
"... Eventually, the corpse will be resusitated and will begin to breathe.
When this happens, one has a beautiful friend offer it appropriate food and tend to it. For half a month it is kept hidden inside; and until this new "residence" becomes steady, one also keeps one's old body hidden inside the hut. Then one can cremate the old body in a tantric fire ritual .... One then takes up one's new life in the newly acqured body, and performs great deeds for the benefit of living beings."

I really love the sound of Tibetan ritual music these days. I don't know what they're saying or doing. I just sit at the side and do my juju as usual and let it all wash over me. It's uplifting, so it is! And another three hour session is coming up!

2 comments:

ion said...

I'm not familiar with the particular ritual you cite, but love the story of the Golem (a man of clay) into whom life was breathed, and who defended the jews in the ghetto.

Hotboy said...

Ion: I'll need to check out the ghetto stuff later! Did Tolkein get the word from this? Hotboy