Tuesday 24 July 2007

Ra Samye Day 2!

Tuesday 9:48 p.m.
The first night in a tent is the worst. You always make some little miscalculation. Last night my mistake was taking off some clothes before I got into the sleeping bag. Wakened up cold. I don't have a lamp, but I have a candle. Lit the candle and put on the trousers. Heard the gong for the eight o clock meditation with the lama. Can't miss that, so it's a running scramble to get there from the tent. Of course, I then discover I've got the trousers on the wrong way!

The meditation was wonderful! How well I remember trying to sit for an hour through these meditations years ago. Oh, what sore legs! The only thing that was missing was the odd vase breath to blow your head off, but when there's a lot of people around ....At the moment, they've started the special gong bashing, but I really needed a cup of coffee after my shower and general scrappy start to the day.

They've got broadband here. You can watch videos! Last night when I'd a few minutes spare I went onto the sensei's blog to watch some YouTube boxing. Dearie me! Having broadband would be worth it for the videos. What next? A microwave oven? A mobile phone? Maybe I should start with a watch. I'm wandering about this place with a travelling alarm clock, the battery of which keeps falling out. Still, how happy I am to be here! Oh, ra bliss, ra bliss, ra bliss!

4 comments:

rob said...

You didn't say anything about a cold head. Were you wearing a pantaclava? That would help.

Anonymous said...

I see that the weather has been clement for your camping- way to go! However, please get yourself a lantern (electric or candle-holding) from Lockerbie. A naked flame in a tent is suicidal. Consider donning the BMRV for bed to keep out the cold.

I checked out the website for Samye Ling- beautiful! The kiddos like the sound of it too, so we'll visit next week when we're down that way. ion

Hotboy said...

Albert? Is it you? Funnily enough, it was only my legs. The hood of midgies usually keeps your head warm, but this tent seems to repel them!
Ion: The Samye's worth seeing. It's got to be as weird as anything in Scotland. A nice two hour break! Hotboy

rob said...

ion - how many holidays do you get? I lost count at three. What a fortunate creature you are.