Friday 23 May 2008

Ra Richard Gere!

Friday 5.46 p.m.
Just got back from my Friday visit to see the auld maw. Number one son, my brother Silvest, was there for a bit. He's nearly seventy. Being number four son, I'm but a pup.

Had an email from my secret agent saying the joe he gave the book about the Presidential candidate to had given it a 'rave rave'. The secret agent will read it this weekend. But it's good that somebody has liked it.

All I know about Richard Gere is that he's rich, handsome and very talented. He also has to take sneery flak from some journalists about being a supporter of Tibetan Buddhism. I was reading a dharma book up the allotment yesterday. It's called Carefree Dignity and seems to be transcripts of talks given by Tsoknyi Rinpoche. Read the first chapter. Excellent. At the very end of the acknowledgements (and who reads them?)(well, the sensei and reverend probably reads them, but he's a book freak!), it says print sponsor: Richard Gere. I guess he paid for the book to get published. Fair play to the boy! He's been a help to me!

Saturday 00:09 a.m.
Since I cut up my credit card, I haven't had the slightest desire for beer. How weird! So I've had no beer and no bob hope since Wednesday (i.e. no bob now for about five or six weeks!). I expect to see God at this rate by next Friday.

I did the Ferry Road and five hills up Dundas Street run tonight in the full Beer Monster Reduction Vehicle minus the bin liner. It took 41 minutes. The last time took 45 minutes. At my best, I did it in 28 minutes, but I'd be happy with 35 minutes. When I was running regularly, but not long distances, I used to go round in about 32 minutes, but I was not a fat basturn then.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do indeed read the acknowledgments.

I've always thought the popular sneering at Richard Gere was crass. His Buddhist practice isn't some hip fad; he's been a serious practitioner most of his adult life.

Anonymous said...

I say!

Not a great fan of Richard Gere as an actor, myself. Nor is Mrs M. for some reason His views on religion are much more interesting.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Doggy: Really? I know bugger all about these buddhisty people. The boy can act though.
Mingin'! I've no idea what his views on religion are. Just read the sneery bits about him. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he's good friends with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and actually MC'd an appearance by HHDL in Los Angeles that I went to in 1997.

He can act, all right. His performance in the movie Unfaithful is so convincing, you can forget that you're watching a movie.

Anonymous said...

I agree that he is an amazing actor and wonderful eye candy.

The fact that he walks his talk matters. So many folks in so many faiths say one thing and do another.

Hotboy said...

Marie: Yeah, I was pleased to see that he'd put up the money. I'd like someone to give me money to try not to get books published! Or just give me money. No, I'd just spend it. Hotboy

rob said...

Didn't Gere make a Buddhist film? Was it better than Samsara?

rob said...

Running anywhere at this age is impressive, even for the bus. I run up three flights at work, that gives the heart a buzz.

rob said...

MM - I concur, RG is of the woodentop school of acting, a bit like the Indiana Jones guy. If I was effing Callista Flockhart I would at least crack a smile.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Is that you? If you're not doing seven minute miles, you're probably not running. Next year I might be hirpling, so jog right on till the end of the road. Since I'm hoping to die any day now with a massive coronary, it's bound to help! Hotboy

rob said...

Is the knee working again?