Sunday 5 August 2007

Sunday 10:00 p.m.
Tomorrow the supporting deities go back to their places, and I will be able to go up to the hut and assess developments, as one does on a Monday morning.

I haven't had any alcohol for a month now, apart from getting pissed with the guy who can't breath so well, but can still swallow. So no booze for two and a half weeks. But only once in the proceeding week and a half. A complete teetotaller, in fact!

After ten days of sitting on my bum and eating huge lunches, I did my shadow boxing routine on Friday. Dearie, dearie me. So I went out for a six mile run .... no, shuffle on Saturday, but there's nothing like running for knocking the crap out of you. Beautiful places to run through in the right light: Ravelstone Dykes, Craigcrook Crescent. Nice leafy part of town. Felt quite exhilarated maybe just because I wasn't going to die after all, but most enjoyable.

Usually when I return to this planet, there are difficulties in re-adjusting to life among the nutters, but not this time somehow. Hardly noticed the shift. Maybe it's getting pissed as soon as you get out that dislocates your equilibium.

Happy, happy days here. I'm really looking forward to meditating tomorrow for hours and hours and hours. I've still got a week of holiday left. A whole week! Any fantastic eruptions of ra bliss will be reported here first by RaBadBoyBLissheid.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

Did you go bonkers as a result of your retreat, or not? Tell us the truth.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I reached a different level of bonkers, that's all! Hotboy

rob said...

Have you timed holding your breath since you got out? That would be a good measure of the Samye effects. I got up as far as 30 seconds.

If you had a webcam, the eruptions of ra bliss would be visible, and you wouldn't need to post at all to keep the world informed. More time for blissing! Feel free to use my idea for 10% off the top.

ion said...

Glad you've made the transition without any shooty-shooty events. I expect the allotment helps. Now- are the motorised prayer wheels at Samye Ling a cheat, or a sensible use of technology?

Hotboy said...

Albert? Had a one day cold yesterday and could hardly breath at all!
Ion: The motorised prayer wheels? Dearie me! What will they think of next? Just more noise pollution, I'd think! Hotboy

Stephanie said...

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a good time at Samye Ling.

And I looked it up, and Samye Ling happens to be situated smack in the middle of a triangle of locations (Dumfries, Tweedsmuir, Ancrum) I noted when researching my ancestry (Hairston / Harestanes). My dad wants to go out there and do some exploring some day, and if we ever get to do that, maybe we'll get to visit Samye Ling as well. It seems like a lovely place. (And my dad keeps telling me he wants me to teach him how to meditate, but always manages to make an excuse when I suggest we do so right then...)

Lee Ann said...

I think you should be glad you are not in this area. You would probably have trouble breathing here. It is very HOT and very HUMID!
It will be nice to get some relief, but that won't come for a few days at least.

Hotboy said...

Somebody! I could only have had a better time if I'd stayed longer. If your people come from that bit of Scotland ... rogues and cattle rievers the lot of them!
Lee Ann: Do you have a walk in fridge? Hotboy

Stephanie said...

If your people come from that bit of Scotland ... rogues and cattle rievers the lot of them!

Ha, I got that impression from some of the things I was reading.

They were faithful Scots though!

Hotboy said...

Somebody: A lot of Scots immigrants were skilled. Did these folk have a trade? When did they go? Hotboy

Stephanie said...

That's what I've been trying to research... I'm curious about what the "Hairstons" (Harestanes, Hairstones, etc.) were into before emigrating to the U.S.

The furthest back I know my ancestry (on my father's side, unfortunately I don't know my mother's, as she and her family did not keep records) is "Peter the Immigrant" Hairston, who came to the States around 1730. Prior to that, he fought with James Stuart in the 1715 Jacobite uprising, and fled to Ireland and then the States when his side lost. It's recorded vaguely that prior to that his family had been Scottish loyalists who got involved in political upheaval at various points and had to leave Scotland and come back (so I guess Peter was carrying on the tradition). That's all I know.

rob said...

My own ancestors came from Annandale, which I think is also nearby. Sheep rustlers.

rob said...

Are you still breathing? It should help.

Hotboy said...

Somebody! Peter the Immigrant seems to have had quite a life. 1730 is a long while back. I wonder if he made money soldiering. A lot of Scots did that after 1715 and 1745. Hotboy
Albert? You'd be related to Sawney Bean then? I should have guessed. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

I've read about this. The economy of Scotland depended on cattle for three hundred years. War and fighting was merely a sideline.

MM III

rob said...

It's not about the flatulence.