Saturday 26 January 2008

Ra Charlie!

Sunday 1:19 a.m.
I've been reading a book by Charles Chaplin called My Early Years. All the really good books are non-fiction.

The auld maw says she started married life as a lodger in the house in Mossend, a five appartment. There are five children in the family. Once the father walked to Whitburn, a not inconsiderable distance, to borrow two and six from his daughter to buy bread. The seven shillings the auld maw and the auld da gave them covered the rent on the house. My auld man had to search for his coat on the beds before he could go to work in the morning because they used the coats as blankets, as you would.

They're all going to hell, Jack. The evil bourgeois are all going to hell.

I think Charlie Chaplin was a Scotsman and probably a buddhist. I fancied reading the book because I wanted to know how come he was the commie rat who had to skeedaddle to Switzerland when the UnAmerican Activities blah blah.

It's humbling to read about lives of poverty and hardship, it really is. His descriptions of his mother going insane and staggering down to the hospital due to malnutrition are ...

I've had a wonderful life. We had the dole. And free education in esteemed universities. I did not get separated from my family in a workhouse at six years of age. I think it would be great if I could die in my sleep tonight. Lifetimes don't get much better than this one has been already. If there isn't any point to existence or any afterlife or anything at all, that would be okay. Even Charlie Chaplin didn't get ra bliss. Death tonight! Yahoo!

6 comments:

onan the bavarian said...

I used the coat on the bed trick too when I lived in Edinburgh. Those filthy aristocrats are all going to hell!

I can't find your book, but in Charlie Chaplin's "My Autobiography?"

it says he was born in England but you're right, he could still be a Scot, just like me.

http://www.adherents.com/people/pc/Charlie_Chaplin.html


And in his son's book "My Father, Charlie Chaplin", pages 337-340:

"he used to praise Hitler's early concern for the common man and his interest in public works"

then

"From the Far East he borrowed the peaceful mysticism of Buddhism to add to his potpourri, and his attachment to England has always been warm and sentimental."

http://www.adherents.com/people/pc/Charlie_Chaplin.html

I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Dying in your sleep could be a good career move. Leith Hedger (not his real name) did that and is getting a state funeral here.

Currently Alec McClochendichter said...

A Nazi-loving buddhist - perfect balance

Hotboy said...

Albert? Are you bavarians multiplying? Is that because yous are catholics or nazis or what? Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Charlie Chaplin used to give his family apples for Christmas, rather than other presents.

Abdul sleeps in his coat when it gets cold.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! An apple? What fortunate creatures they were! A whole one or one with a bite out of it? Hotboy