Saturday 14 June 2008

Ra Reasonable Expectations!

Sunday 00:02 a.m.
I re-read pertinent passages of The Bliss of Inner Fire today. This book, by Lama Thebten Yeshe, was what caused me to become a Tibetan Buddhist, and get empowerments to practise the great vajrayana. It is probably one of the most wonderful things ever published.

Since I don't believe in anything and have a fair conceit about my abilities, I tend to think if some joe or josephine can do it, so can I. Perhaps one should enter the usual caveats: I'm probably not going to run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds. I don't think it was ever possible for me to have done this and I'm too old and fat now. Given the usual caveats ...

It is not impossible to do what the boy says you can do in this book. I'm quite certain that thousands and thousands of mainly joes have done this before the book was ever published. We've got a couple of thousands of years of history since the Buddha lived, so we are probably talking about many hundreds of thousands of people having accomplished this since he died. To that extent, it isn't even unusual. Maybe as many as a couple of million of joes and josephines have done this.

I could have been writing prose or dialogues today, but instead I spent most of my time playing the mind game. The mind game is the only game in town, but there are different ways to play it.

If I am going to gain mastery of the inner heat juju, I am going to have to become a different kind of joe. Maybe this isn't for me in this life. Of course, the amount of ra bliss I will achieve will increase, and so will the heat, but
to accomplish what is in this book ... and I assume this is not enlightenment, even near it ... I'd really have to give up everything and everyone. Hmmm? This is the first time I've thought this wasn't going to happen. How crap are these degenerate days! Tempis fugit, ya bass!

2 comments:

rob said...

"some joe or josephine can do it, so can I" - any joe can do hut management. You can too. Does that help?

Hotboy said...

Albert? No, that doesn't help at all! Hotboy