Monday 21 April 2008

Rat Waiting For Goddo!

Monday 1:23 p.m.
While they were trashing the reputations of Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir on the radio this morning, I remembered looking up a definition of existentialism once, and what a big effect it had on me.

Once I believed in God, then I was an agnostic, then I decided I was an atheist, Thomism and the first cause argument notwithstanding.

I might have written about this before in The Buddha and the Big Bad Wolf.

So the definition said that an atheistic existentialist was in the position of a person with their toes on the edge of an cliff, looking down into the abyss of personal annihilation. When there's no goddo ... when you're dead, you're dead.

I said this state led to feelings of angst, which is perhaps some kind of generalised anxiety or alienation.

The first noble truth is the truth of dukka, which can be interpreted in this way.

To get over this angst, your existentialist tried to find methods of connection, such as, humping folk (Moravia) or becoming communists. (Sartre)

In the first turning of the wheel, you'd ask who it is who is suffering from the angst, and hopefully deal with this false sense of self.

To be religious is to know that the facts of the world are not the end of the matter. L. Wittgenstein. The Wall.

I found this definition when I was working as a library assistant in a university around here. I got the job because at the interview I was asked if I had any mental problems. On looking at the two guys interviewing me, I wondered if mental problems were a requirement for getting this job, and told them I didn't really have any mental problems, but I was a member of an amateur boxing club and didn't know if that counted or not.

The physical attributes of Angus McSorley in The Real McCoy, which I'm supposed to be re-writing this afternoon, are based on one of these interviewers. I heard today that he'd passed away after a fall. Michael Wills, one time deputy librarian at Heriot Watt. What a great guy he was! Everything I knew about him was flashing through my head this morning and nothing but good things arose.

What can I say about the meditations this morning? We're not waiting for goddo around here, Jack! March on! March on!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not waiting for anyone, let alone goddo.

But then I've never believed in the Hallmark model of life either.

Besides there is too much to be done to be waiting.

Hotboy said...

Marie Rex: This Hallmark model of life will have to be looked up. Dead educational these blogs, so they are! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

An interview technique worthy of Irvine Welsh. Are you boys writers?

Anonymous said...

In these parts, Hallmark Holidays means e.g. Mothers Day, Valentines, possibly all religious days too. Hope that helps.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Is that you? In those days hundreds of folk were applying for crap jobbies like that! That reply got me the job, I was told later. Is Hallmark not a teevee channel in the states? Was that not what Hillary Clinton rented for a show? What would I know? Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Hallmark is a card company and yes they also run a TV channel. Full of sappy 'Happily Ever After' shows.

Makes me even happier I don't get a TV signal at all.

Hotboy said...

Marie Rex: No telly! What a good idea! Hours and wasted hours staring at rubbish. Well, I do anyway! People who don't watch telly know more stuff!! The guy from the post who passed away didn't have one when I knew him. A fount of information the boy was! Hotboy

Lee Ann said...

I hope you have wonderful meditations and Happy Earth Day!
~xo
Lee Ann

Hotboy said...

Lee Ann: Don't know about the earth, but the meditations this morning have really cheered me up! Have a nice day! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Having no telly is a great thing. We lost our antenne in a storm several years ago and never bothered to have it back. I never had one when I lived alone so never got in the habit.

Besides it saves the BBC tax every year.

I don't know that I'm smarter for being without it, but I think I am pretty well read.

ion said...

I enjoyed that post- definitive PR for RaBliss Products Ltd.

Hotboy said...

Ion: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hotboy