Monday 28 April 2008

Ra Nova Scotia

Monday
I can't do lucid dreaming, which might be a lot of fun, but I tried last night, going to bed sober and straight. I didn't work, but I wakened up a couple of times through the night and seemed to be emerging from heavenly dreams. This is a big improvement from dreaming that you're lost in the slums of Nairobi, I'll tell you.

When I was taking refuge with Dr Akong Tulku Rinpoche down at the Samye Ling, he gave us a wee talk. One of the things that really struck me was when he said that when you owned something, you should always think that you've borrowed it, that it wasn't really yours. I assume this is to deal with attachment, clinging, craving, and whatnot.

I've often thought that borrowing books from libraries and giving them back was communism's last stand.

The previous Panchen Lama was, I think, quite excited by the opportunities offerred by the Chinese revolution at first. The commies are atheists, of course, and so are the buddhists, no believing in a creator god anyway. It's utopian, so it is, putting these two philosophies together. Shame the Chinese turned out to be flatheids.

Since the Traverse artistic director has changed, there's no free tickets to first nights anymore. The end of an era! But last night I went to a preview performance of a new John Byrne play because you get in for half price. Much enjoyed it. I think it's the fourth part of the Slab Boys trilogy, called Nova Scotia, and I thought it was really good. I liked it better than the other three. I laughed a couple of times which is good going for me. Be better tonight, it's real first night. Great that John Byrne can still be bothered. Great that whoever persuaded him, persuaded him!

The only performer I recognised was Gerda Stevenson. Gerda acted in a radio play of mine a long time ago and showed what a class act she is once again. A stellar quine, that one!

Later:
I spent several hours today taking any mention of the blissy book out of all posts in this or the old blog. Dearie me! What tedium! That'll teach me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

I hear that the North Sea oil reserves have run dry and that as a result there's no petrol left in Scotland.

How are you coping?

MM III

Anonymous said...

No free first night tickets anymore? The Perverse finally panders only to the evil bourgois.

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I don't drink petrol, so fortunately this shortage has no effect on me! Hotboy
Doggy! It was about 13 years of two free tickets for every first night ... aye, basturns! Must say that I never knew why I was getting them. I was told they thought I was a working class thug! Maybe somebody fancied me. Rough trade, so I am. But it was good while it lasted. Free wine as well. I took Rosalynd for the last six years. Hotboy

rob said...

I had a single ongoing dream last night. I was at Buccleuch Towers, trying to force myself to put don rat poison, miked with mashed banana, for the possum that lives above my head. I wrestled with the ethics all night. When I woke at 5, the animal was just getting in after the usual night out.

I return books to the library that I haven't borrowed. Old books I have finshed with. I could place a few copies of Are You Boys on the stacks for you.

rob said...

Is a quine what I think it is? Star-spangled and all. You artists are so open about these things.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Is that you? You should buy up all the copies of yon book from the internet as they will be worth at least a quid someday! I don't know what you think a quine is. Stellar Quines was a theatrical group Gerda Stevenson was involved with once. Hope this helps. (it's a word used by teuchtars in Banff and thereabouts) Hotboy