Sunday 20 July 2008

Ra Magic and Mystery In Tibet!

Sunday 1:15 p.m.
I've just finished reading Magic and Mystery in Tibet by Alexandra David-Neel. What an utterly fabulous book!! Had to finish, of course, with a picture of the Samye monastery in Tibet. I think this place is called after it.

I think I've read it before, but most of it was fresh to me. I don't think I'd have written Light in the Dark if I hadn't read Alexandra David-Neel. Excellent writer, great subject!

If everyone had a granny like Alexandra David-Neel the world would be sorted.

The joy and the sacred happiness have been checking in over the last couple of days. I'm sure I could get this juju working if I only spent more time down here. Still ...

The name of the game is non-self and emptiness, of course. And there are hundreds of different ways to play it. A long list of alternatives is given in the book I've just mentioned. I think the Tibetans like deity yoga because it combines method and wisdom in one practise. The method being meditation/contemplation/concentration and the wisdom being emptiness. I think if you ever get into non-self and emptiness it should look like oneness or wholeness in flow.

Time on this machine is running out. The man who made the delicious lunch is sitting beside me. I'll now have to go to the tent to recover. Raspberry crumble and double cream! I ask you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I get a lane of this book by ADN, if you can spare her for a couple of weeks? She sounds (and looked in her photie) quite redoubtable, though not (as far as I can ascertain) a biological mother or granny. Somehow, that seems significant.

Weather report for Samye area was good yesterday and today. Please say hello to the plants, bunnies and birdies from us.

Hotboy said...

Ion: I'd love to lend this book to anyone, so you're on. I was told by folk who know that in this valley the weather forecasts don't work. It has its own weather, a bit like Stockbridge with more rain! It's only rained a couple of times today and has been not too bad! I'll lend the other ADN ones as well, at least Journey to Lhasa. Really interesting wummin! Hotboy