Saturday 5 July 2008

Ra First Morning!

Saturday 9:10 a.m.
What a fantastic dinning the birdies were making this morning! Not quite as raucous as around April, but pretty full on really. There must be millions of different kinds around here.

I've just finished the first meditation of the day, the one with the lama. I think he's going to the Holy Isle, but it's great to have sat there meditating with him at least once this weekend. The more this stuff you do, the more you appreciate guys like that.

I'll have to sit in a half lotus for this trip, so I'll have to be mindful of my back. Also, I should avoid wasting money on computery things. What a day for meditating this is going to be.

Of course, the sun has disappeared today and it's gotten colder. That's more like the Samye Ling!

2:12 p.m.
Temple Dave looks after the temple. Obviously, a sweet guy. He's been here, I think, for about fourteen years. Calm guy. Anyway, we were looking down from the temple into the car park when this gathering of high heid yins shows up. Some of them are going to the Holy Isle. There was a visiting khenpo. And,Dave says, a nephew of the cosmic brothers who is due to take over the stewardship of the Samye Ling in about 2010. Well, there is it. A bit of continuity. The cosmic brothers, may they live 10,000 years, are about a decade older than moi.

Excellent morning in the back temple meditating and doing Tai Chi when folk left for breaks. Then the giant lunch. Then the yoga nidra in the back temple with the dozing off. I'm normall maybe go to the tent for this, but it was pouring. Samye Ling weather!

I'm addicted to these machines, so I am!

9:13 p.m.
As far as first days at the Samye Ling go, today has definitely been tops! Something seems to open or be opening up. Stunned by ra bliss during the Chenrezig prayers this evening. I've really grown to love Tibetan chanting. Ra bliss was so full on that I stayed behind when everyone else left. Then in comes the Venerable Big Indian with several nuns. Is it a rehearsal or a practise? That's the first time today I was able to really get into vase breathing. It was wonderful to be there doing it with the twirly drums and bells, and all the chanting and tinkling!

Must have meditated for nine hours today anyway. I'm tired now and the rain is chucking it down. Have to dash for the tent soon. Quote of the day from the joe in the Richard Gere book. "Meditation does not cater for people with short attention spans."

May all sentient beings be happy, including those who should know better and the too dumb to meditate!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

"Flatheids don't even know they're flatheids. And they'll never get ra bliss!"

As I believe they say in your part of the world "It's aye bin an it'll aye be"

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! No, they don't say that in my part of the world. They say much worse things than that. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I came across a new mantra lately, with an interesting history.

“Thank you for everything. I have no complaint whatsoever.” - Sono

I'm glad you are enjoying your bliss. It is such a beautiful place.

Hotboy said...

Marie Rex: I meditated in a new place for me yesterday, a medicine buddha shrine on top of the temple. Very nice. Good new mantra! Hotboy