Tuesday 26 February 2008

Ra Tilda Swinton

Tilda Swinton came climbing up the banked seats at the old Traverse towards where I was sitting, trailed by her boyfriend. It was a bit late on and she stretched out on the seats beside me maybe hoping for a wee rest. It was one of those brilliant after hours parties Jenny Killick put on while she was Artistic Director. Being pop eyed on speed, I tapped the future Academy Award winner's foot and proceeded to tell her what I thought of her acting performances. It was probably about 1984 or thereabouts.


She'd acted in several plays by then after coming up from Cambridge University with Jenny Killick, Peter Arnott, and some others. In a play by Peter Arnott, called White Rose, about women flying planes for Russia against the Nazis, she had been brilliant. She later brought a one woman show to the Traverse about a woman pretending to be a man in inter-war Germany. She was brilliant in that as well.


Great to see her picking up the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress the other night. No crying either! Gone yoursel', hen!

7 comments:

rob said...

Hotheid! An actor friend played opposite her in an independent film in the 80s. And when I say "played" I mean, well I think you know what I mean.

Her acceptance speech was indeed a refreshing change.

Thank goodness for video tape. I can only bear to watch the Oscars in fast forward, and just slow down for the good bits.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I only saw it on the news. If you had a proper job you wouldn't have time for all this malarkey! Hotboy

ion said...

Didn't watch the Oscars, but would imagine that Tilda would tend towards the supernatural.

We like women with transparent skin and phaeochromic colouring who choose to live in the back of beyond and raise children with odd fellows. Go on yersel indeed, Tilda.

Hotboy said...

Ion: Her husband can write as well! Hotboy

rob said...

As well as who? ;)

Hotboy said...

Albert? As well as paint. She's married to John Byrne of Talking Heads. HOpe this helps an' all. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

And I suppose David Byrne has become a Scottish playwright?