Monday 25 February 2008

Ra Rebel!

My brother Grizzly liked dogs and poaching with tinkers. I think we had a succession of 15 lurchers in my house when I was a kid, but the first one and the last one was called Rebel.


The last Rebel stayed with us from the time it was bought from an advert in The Exchange and Mart until I buried it with my wee brother down the back garden one wet and stormy night about 12 or 13 years later. When the dog was still young, my brother went off to Birmingham to work for a while on the building sites and stopped running around with the tinkers then.


We had a big back garden. Right at the bottom of it, my brother had built a huge kennel, like one you could stand up straight in until you were a teenager. There was a mattress inside it. Tarpaulin lined the outside walls and the inside walls and the roof. When my brother went to Birmingham, the place became completely infested with fleas.


We knew there was a lot of fleas on the dog at this time. My wee brother and me used to get stopped by dog fanciers wherever we went, and they would sometimes pat the dog, and we would try not to snigger.


It was thought that the fleas might have come from hares and rabbits the dog had once caught. But they loved the mattress and the hut must have been some kind of flea heaven because you could see them jumping all over the shop just by peeking in.


The dog didn't scratch much, so I thought the fleas might not have been bothering it too much. Then one day when I went down to the kennel, the dog stepped out of the hut and said: Hotboy, you are going to have to do something about the fleas!


I must have been about nine or ten, or maybe a little older. My wee brother was nearly three years younger than me, but it was us who went down the back garden one dark night and dragged the mattress out of the hut and onto the grass in front of it. We set the mattress on fire. What a sight! Millions of fleas leaping everywhere.


When we got back to the kitchen, my maw told us to get into the bathroom and get stripped off and into the bath. So I'm sitting in the bath with my wee brother and we're watching the fleas pinging here and there all over the bathroom, hundreds of them peppering the walls.


The auld maw didn't bat an eyelid about the state we were in. Boys among the heroic working class of Bonnie Scotland were expected to get covered in muck and scabs and fall out of trees. This is in marked contrast to the progeny of the evil bourgeois who were always polishing their shoes and marching up and down.... by the left ... def dight, def dight, def dight! And wasn't it always thus!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

Wonderful to get some new material at your blog for a change.

You must always get your housekeeper/hutkeeper to take the dogs to the vet's dip once a week. This will rid them of fleas, lice and ticks. Doviko takes Casper and Farley every week. OK, so it may cost a few hundred Kwacha, but it's certainly worth it.

"My brother Grizzly liked dogs and poaching with tinkers" - should that read "My brother liked grizzlies, dogs and poaching with tinkers." - or, are we in a situation such as "Eats, shoots and leaves"?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! My punctuation is experimental! Actually, I've forgotten how to spell or punctuate since I started blogging. Moral degeneration, that's what it is! Hotboy

rob said...

Mingers! 100 kwacha is only 37 pence. Is it a dog witch doctor?

Hotters! Is that where the song comes from? Rebel Rebel, your place is a mess. One hopes it was a proletarian dog, otherwise keeping it lousy would technically be cruelty.

Doctor Robert says that whenever you have a bonfire down by the bliss shed, you're still symbolically burning the fleas. This is an encouraging sign of neurosis, are you sure you're not bourgeois?

rob said...

PS - I almost forgot - Doctor Robert told me to warn you that dosing strangers with fleas can lead in later life to poisoning bourgeois with gingivitis toothbrushes.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I get paid today so that's 37 pence for what? Can you buy beer for that anywhere? Hotboy

ion said...

What a pleasure to read- still catching up. Apparently myopia has given me lifehood blindness to pet fleas and children's lice. Is this a bad thing?

rob said...

Hotters! Lidl in Piddledorf does weissbier for 27 cents. Remember? Of course the flight there costs the equivalent of about 9000 bottles (economy class). Everything balances up.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Thank god I'm off the drink! Hotboy
Ion: I am completely blind of dust and dirt! Hotboy