Monday 18 February 2008

Ra Sheaths!

I am Hotboy. I come from Bellshill.


That's where I found this booklet on Friday. God knows where it came from. It's by Sri Swami Satchidananda who invented Integral Yoga. I read a book by him about this once and was most impressed. But the booklet was like a wonderful hidden gift. It was at the back of something now long gone and no one really knew how it got into the house.


'Quite other than this physical sheath which consists of food and interior to it is the energy sheath that consists of breath. This is encased in the physical sheath ....' Taittiriya Upansishad.

From the booklet: The Breath of Life. 'Yoga texts describe five bodies or sheaths through which the human being functions. These are known as 'koshas' and include the body of physical elements, the vital body, the mental body, the intellectual body and the bliss body. Yoga practise leads the student from the grosser levels (i.e. physical body) up through the more subtle levels until bliss is reached.'


Well, there it is. Until the kiddo showed up with her boyfriend for a meal around seven last night, I spent most of the day meditating. I wondered if I had ever had more bliss. I was amazed again, Jack. I was a bit amazed again this morning. That's why I'm writing this post. To tell you how amazed I am. Looks from here that the 'energy sheath that consists of breath' is the one you want to play in. Soon I'll start being good and then we'll see what happens!

9 comments:

rob said...

Is a sheath better than a diaphragm?

I watched Oprah today, she had a guy on explaining how to meditate simply by using your diaphragm. You could get on with your sheath based method Maybe the American market is ready for you.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Is that you? You can draw them as many diagrams as you likem, but flatheids are just too dumb to meditate. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

hotboy, that's what i call synchronous. last night i was reading about the same 5 sheath business in yoga and ayurveda but i'm struggling with the concept of pratyahara which frawley calls the forgotten limb of yoga, any drops of wisdom to drip on me_
loveandpeacexxxx

Hotboy said...

Michelle. The pratyahara business puzzles me as well. I've seen it translated as withdrawal of the senses. Putting this together with this Tibetan juju, it might mean that the 'winds' have gone into the 'central channel'. When that happens, my assumption is that the only sensation you feel then is ecstasy. This might correspond to pratyhara, but I'm probably wrong. I'll look into this though later. Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Michelle! Googled it and it's a translation problem again. "Senses" isn't really what it means apparently. Here's a bit I found:
Sense withdrawal means that the senses cease to be engaged or connected to the objects traveling in the train of the mind. It does not mean the suppression, repression, or stopping of those thoughts. They may naturally slow down or decrease to some degree, but the method itself is to break the contact, to cease connecting with the thought patterns. This means allowing thoughts to flow without interruption, while the senses are simply not diverted into those thoughts.
Don't know if that helps. Did bugger all for me really! Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Micbelle! There seem to be 'tentacles' involved. You senses stretch out to stuff. I suppose it might be like following stories in your mind instead of just letting them be or go. I'm really not too sure about this. It's probably a bit more obvious than it seems. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure either...
but if it involves not stimulating the senses, that means no reading blogs, watching the news or scary films etc...how else do you break contact, i mean the 21st century is sensory stimulation overload unless you're blissed out in the lobby!
will keep twirling it round, thanks for the thoughts
loveandpeacexx

Hotboy said...

Michelle! I think it means if you're meditating, you don't follow the nice smells, sounds, thoughts, etc. They seem to have a word for this which we don't have. I don't see what else it can be. Hotboy

rob said...

Wind and tentacles. This is pure filth!