Tuesday 2 October 2007

Ra Serenity!

Tuesday 8:45p.m.
I was feeling serene yesterday and stayed feeling serene throughout most of my time at work. Serenity is most unusual. Once I felt very calm when I was going away from the Samye Ling after meditating down there for a few days. It's as if nothing is going to bother you, no matter what.

Why was that then, Hotboy? I don't really know for sure, Jack. Of course, the meditations continue to develop, becoming deeper and stronger all the while, or so it seems. The end result of all this juju is equanimity of course, not ra bliss, but I don't suppose I'm anywhere near that.

I had a chance to try to explain and maybe work this out for myself that evening since I was out sitting with my friend with the MS so her husband could go out to the pub. My friend with the MS isn't saying much back these days, so is a perfect flatheid to regale with stuff about ra bliss, and such things as the arising of serenity, and why thereof.

On the outside, everything, including thoughts and mountains, arises, abides, and declines in mind. There seems no point in trying to differentiate between your wee mind and any outside mind when you've got this to work a wee bit sometimes. It's just mind. Where else could anything arise? And this view seems to make it seem as if everything is going to be alright, no matter what it sometimes looks like. It feels like that.

On the inside, the more you sit, the more wonderful it becomes. You have ra bliss. Soon there may be even breathlessness and other astonishments. But the more you meditate, it seems the more wonderousness you unveil. We seem to rest psychologically on an ocean of ra bliss.

But the wee bit of serenity was very nice. What my friend with the MS made of all this I'll never know. It's a shame she never meditated. It's a shame about the flatheids, so it is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect your friend with MS could learn to meditate with help. My best friend died of MS at 36. Her life was a joyful place and I miss her.

I envy your bliss, I'm working to learn it.

Marie Rex

Hotboy said...

Marie! Yon wummin could teach me a few things! It got my sister as well. There's a lot of it about! Hotboy

rob said...

Even the old dear knows someone in E-burgh with it. There is indeed a lot of it about. Is that why it's called multiple?

rob said...

I know there's no danger of you reading comments on old posts. So to save your click finger I reproduce here:

The bliss pills kicked in, with some help from the opening of the outdoor pool. A mile outdoors today without stopping, in hot sun. I was too stoked even to bother perving. Could life get any better?

Is the Afloat book a re-write of Life of Pi? You could do that too, a bliss version, about a guy rowing to the UnHeard Ofs, via Denial Island. (10%)

Hotboy said...

Albert? I'll look at any comments I get the email alert for. Doesn't everyone? Great that you can swim a mile underwater. Not many people can do that without taking a breath. It probably means you're immortal or dead already. Hope this helps. Hotboy

ion said...

HB- Your description of your elder-sitting of your MS friend strangely touched me. I very much hope that she received some comfort and uplifting from whatever you said to her.

Rob- Geographical maps of the auto-immune diseases MS and Crohn's disease both show hotspots in central Scotland. I don't know about other auto-immune diseases like lupus, thyroid dysfunction and type 1 diabetes. I seem to recall that the MS/Crohn's link carries on in our immigrant colonies to the west, south and east, suggesting it might be genetic, or (less strongly) diet.

Marie Rex- well said.