Monday 15 October 2007

Ra Beginnings!

Monday 9:30 p.m.
I started re-writing The Real McCoy tonight. It's hard to believe how badly written the first half page was. Added later. Got rid of that. It's always the same with stuff you add in. Now it starts with the Robert Kennedy assasination, except it's not Robert Kennedy. The newsman shouts: Do you think you are the son of God?

Robert Kennedy was a great loss.

I'd re-read the original, which I wrote 20 years ago, twice, but that doesn't count as beginning the re-write. Tonight is the beginning. I don't care how long it takes me. If it gets published and makes some money, I'll have to give most of it away. I think I should keep writing because I enjoy doing that.

The book is essentially about trying to find God, so I hope I'm old enough now and have the time to focus on it.

I'd been trying to avoid starting something like this for a year so I didn't have that in my head at all. But now I feel okay about it. I know about this God stuff. I can do that!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starting NaNoWriMo early huh?

But the question is whose God are you looking for?

Marie Rex

Hotboy said...

Marie! It's got to be a stroll from the God with the beard in the clouds and the nightdress to ... the God without characteristics, or definitions. Essentially, about loss of self and what does this mean? But maybe not. If you need faith, I have no problem with that. Anything that gets you through the day! I have to write something about reality and what's all that about. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Historically there are a lot of gods, depending on the age you lived in and which side was winning.

Reality is a slippery idea. I'll stick to fantasy. Especially since I only write one month out of the year and never bother to go back and even spell check.

Marie Rex

Hotboy said...

Marie! The difference between appearance and reality is where all the stuff about emptiness comes in. Fings just aint what they appear to be! Or not only what they appear to be! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Here all this time I thought emptiness was about the spaces between things at a sub-atomic level.

I expect most of it is about our perceptions. But we all have a different point of view.

I think the biggest mistake humans make is expecting everyone to see the world their way.

Marie Rex

Hotboy said...

Marie! I've just written a comment, which took twenty minutes, on emptiness and it's disappeared. Guess it was not to be! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Here's a loose translation of that Baudelaire quote:

"So as not to feel the terrible burden of Time that breaks your shoulders and bends you towards the earth, you must get drunk without respite. But drunk on what? On wine, on poetry, or on virtue, as you like. But get drunk."

Rather good, what? And no semi-colons.

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! This French boy is well determined to get drunk on something. Since I am now completely teetotal, I can't really sympathise! Hotboy

rob said...

Congrats on distilling the pure essence of emptiness into a comment. How can you possibly follow that?