Sunday 14 October 2007

Ra Pailis

Sunday 10:00 p.m.
There's five big rooms in this flat and only me. Two of the rooms I'll never go into. No wonder the world is full of homeless basturns!

When I was about seven, we moved from Mossend to Bellshill. This meant moving from an upstairs downstairs with three bedrooms to a one of four flat with four bedrooms, round the corner. There were nine folk living in this council house. We moved because my sister with the MS needed a room on her own. There was another sister so that was the second bedroom gone. Then the maw and da had a room. The fourth bedroom was for us, the five boys. I'm number four son.

This was on the ground floor. One night some poor unfortunate drunken creature came into our front garden and climbed in through the window into the bedroom I shared with my four brothers.

My three elder brothers had all attended the boxing gym run by Joe Gans, Walter McGowan's da, at some point. Walter ended up being the Flyweight Champion of the World and his da had been a booth boxer. Joe Gans was a kid-on name. Thank God Joe Gans wasn't running his boxing gym when I was a teenager because I would have probably attended this gym and I would have been quite good at boxing. Boxing is not a good thing to be good at. Well ... I could qualify that, but sometimes you can take too many punches to the head.

Walter might have dementia now. Ah could have been a contenda, Charlie. Walter McGowan was much better than a contender. Walter McGowan was the best boxer I ever saw.

When I was teaching kids to box at a school in Falkirk, I did something my brother Grizzly told me about from Joe Gans gym. Walter was obviously wonderful so he would stick two sparring partners in with him at the one time. You're not allowed to hit from the back. This does sharpen you up!

In one of the Alien movies there's a bit where some joe or josephine realises that they're standing in a nest of monsters as they uncurl from the walls, etc.

So the drunk man is standing in the middle of the darkened bedroom. My three elder brothers are all in their late teens or early twenties. I wake up due to the racket and this guy is standing there in front of the fireplace. It is a commotion in the darkened room. My brother Silvest was a very good amateur boxer, but it was Grizzly who banjoed the boy. The boy's head bangs off the wall; he collapses. By this time me and my wee brother have our heads well poked out the bedclothes.

The old man had a motor so we could take my sister out. They seem to have discerned that the unconscious person was from the Pailis, known officially as Bothwellhaugh, a derelict ex-mining village half way to Hamilton. They put him in the motor and left him lying out on the pavement down the Pailis. I think Grizzly wanted to find out where he stayed, but my brother Silvest, row of forty medals on his chest, big chest, wanted him dumped.

Where the Pailis was in now under a pond in Strathclyde Park.

My auld maw told me the reason why I don't have more brothers and sisters is because of Adolf Hitler who caused the old man to go shooty shootying for six years. It's great to be part of a big family, even if they're all flatheids!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That might have been enough to give the laddie a second thought about drinking again.

I only have 2 sisters and one brother, but I've a load of cousins. When we would get together as kids we'd have our own army.

I'm glad you have good memories of childhood. I have few.

Marie Rex

Hotboy said...

Marie-Rex! I had a great childhood. Well fed and looked after, and no one was rotten to me just for the sake of it. I think it's a shame my daughter has no brothers and sisters. In a big family you might realise that other folk are important as well! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Pour ne pas sentir l'horrible fardeau du Temps qui brise vos epaules et vous penche vers la terre, il faut vous enivrer sans treve.

Mais de quoi? De vin, de poesie, ou de vertu, a votre guise. Mais enivrez-vous.

Who wrote that?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Baudelaire. I googled it. Was he in the pitch inspector's union? Hotboy

ion said...

*More* brothers and sisters, had yer dad not been at war? You're mam is a saint.

I can barely cope with the two, but I having more than one has been a blessing, for the other wan keeps the first wan busy with fighting, and also looking after her.

MMIII- I love a bit o' Baudelaire. Music to the ears in French, even if you can only guess at the meaning.

Hotboy said...

Ion: Hope your better now! Aye, I think people have changed quite a lot. There were families of 12 and 13 around where I stayed. Six, seven, and eight were not uncommon. Breeding like rabbits, so they were! No epidurals or diamorphine either. In fact, no doctors either half the time. Hotboy p.s. My partner's auntie had fourteen. A full football team plus substitutes. The wummin is in her eighties now.

rob said...

Great story hotters! Put it in the next book, or the Recycled McCoy.

I'm thinking I might take up the gloves if I can practice on drunk people. How many is too many punches to the head? Are you sure you got the right amount?

rob said...

Interesting how everything is always Adolf's fault. I can ask Doctor Rob about that for you.

rob said...

I can see that sharing a bedroom with umpteen brothers would have its advantages. As well as the disadvantages. Everything balances up. Thank goodness you got away to university to masturbate.

Hotboy said...

Albert? The best thing about a big family is that you don't get the SAS calvinist toilet training regime. A few punches in the head wouldn't do you any harm at all. By the time I left for uni to mix with the progeny of the evil protestant bourgeois, we all had a room of your own because folk grow up and piss off. Hope this helps. Hotboy