Tuesday 20 November 2007

Rat Escapism

Tuesday
I got an email from someone called Lynne Pema from Canada, I think. So hello, Lynne!

I really have a great desire at the moment to meditate. Last night, I had to sit with the Domestic Bliss and watch the telly. It was quite nice. If you were asked if you'd rather become blissed, get out of your face on air, or watch the telly ... if you're a flatheid, you'd probably want to watch the telly!

It's dark when I leave the house in the morning and it's dark when I get back in. Usually, miserable, horrible Scottish weather as well. I mean, who'd want to escape that?

Today I started to dread Christmas. It's not unusual for me to start dreading Christmas about August. Last year I had two really nice evenings over the horrible holiday fortnight. I was sitting in front of the telly with the Domestic Bliss and the kiddo, the noise blockers on, the eyeballs rolled up, investigating ra bliss. Two lovely evenings in the midst of a sea of engaging with the too dumb to meditate.

The two best Christmases I've had in the last ten years have been spent down at the Samye Ling. They don't have Santa Claus. There isn't a bit of tinsel in sight. You don't have to sit drinking yourself into a stupor wishing you were anywhere else but here. Last year I told the kiddo that we could go down to the Samye this Christmas (they run a beginners course then and show films at night in the cafe!) if I had any money. What a laugh! It's really unusal for me to have money at Christmas time.

But I've got a tooth abscess (just swelling, no pain. Hurrah!), a slightly knackered shoulder and I'm at work.

On the bright side, I'm enjoying re-writing the beginning of the kidsbook and I have a dental appointment at 4:50 p.m. tonight.

It said in the papers yesterday that you don't have to go to work if you're so obese, and have trouble walking, etc. Pass the Christmas pudding, please.

Later
I spent the best part of my lunch break hiding in the toilets. Sometimes I hide in the empty lecture theatre, but it was busy today. What bliss! How unexpectedly did the heat arise! Not many folk practise vajrayana buddhism in the toilets at their work. Mostly, it'll be practised in monasteries and caves and such like, but needs must!

Let's hope the dentist reels back in horror and phones emergency services. What I need is to be surrounded by medics dressed in space suits, shaking their heads and saying: You're a carrier, Hotboy, but you have no symptoms. You'll have to stay here under observation and in isolation for the next three years. What a fortunate, fortunate creature I would be then!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad we don't get a TV signal here. If I watch anything it has to be a choice of what is on the rack on the wall.

One good thing about not being near family is my hubby and I don't bother with the Xmas madness. It is just another nice quiet day.

I spend a lot of time mediating in the toilet. But then with Crohn's Disease I spend a lot of time in the toilet any way. As you say needs must.

Even in isolation they won't leave you alone. They just make everyone put on gear, before they come bother you. Trust me, better to hide in the garden.

Hotboy said...

God, I wish I could ignore Christmas! If you're not away somewhere, it's rude to refuse to go and ... do all that horrorshow! On the bright side, I'm getting a lot more heat than before and might be able to prevail against the cold in the hut over the holiday period... maybe not this winter, but sometime. Hotboy p.s. I didn't realise there was a part of Britain without a signal for the telly. I could live with that!

Anonymous said...

I say!

At your age, I'm surprised you have any teeth left!

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Well, there will be one less on Friday! Hotboy

rob said...

I lie flat on the floor in front of the telly with the prismatic glasses.

Your Christmas sounds like the election here on Saturday, the outcome a foregone conclusion, and we're invited to three parties, that's two more than an overdose. Forced conversation with deifheids and the too dumb to sit quietly at home. Dearie dearie me! I've emailed the deifheids, who are having the third party. I explained that I'll be partied out after the first two and will send the DB, or whatever I call my partner, as my representative.

rob said...

PS - working for Edinburgh council, I used to go the pub for lunch, and by afternoon tea-break it was time for a sleep in the toilet.

Anonymous said...

Actually our house doesn't get it. We lost our ariel in the big storm a couple years ago and never bothered to get another one.

I like living without TV. Above and beyond saving the TV tax, I don't waste time watching it.

I hope you get heat, I expect it is harder to bliss if you are cold.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I thoroughly enjoy partying. It's just that I don't approve of it!
Marie-Rex: We lost the ariel for the living room a couple of months ago. But there's other teevees in here. They're everywhere! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

That's funny, cos I thoroughly approve of other people partying. It's just that I don't enjoy it! Everything's balancing up again!