Wednesday 19 September 2007

Ra Bomber

Wednesday 5:14 p.m.
What a beautiful sunny day! I was going to work overtime today since my working week only started yesterday, but desisted due to bone laziness and because it was such a sunny day. Just back from the allotment where the raspberries were delicious and I ate a strawberry. I didn't know strawberries ripened this late on. Yum. The meditations seem to be moving on a stage. I'm less bothered about emanating as a deity just now and content to relax into the fabulous tranquil bliss. It progresses and progresses. What a fortunate creature I am!

I had to search my pile of dusty old manuscripts to find the first page of a play I wrote once called Busted. Funny play. Anyway, as I was searching I came upon a letter I got once from Stuart Christie, who ran the Cienfuegos Press from a remote island off Orkney or Shetland a couple of decades ago. He was quite a famous anarchist, having spent a lot of time in a Spanish jail for taking dynamite to blow up Franco. Then he did some time on remand for the Angry Brigade bombings, but I think the charges were dropped. I assumed he was on a remote island up north because of the hassles with police surveillance. I wonder where he is now.

When I was writing Bomber originally I had to find out how to make a bomb, so I searched the newspapers for stories about the Angry Brigade and got the local library to get me a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook. Stuart Christie later brought out a Scottish version, called Towards a People's Militia, I think. Anyway, I knew I wasn't going to get Bomber published, so I sent him a copy to see what he thought of it.

He made some helpful comments about the role of the Special Branch as provocateurs. In fact, he said he read the book in a oner and was much amused when the name of the gelignite he almost got bust with cropped up. If you want to know how to blow yourself up, you could find out by reading Bomber.

A twenty one year old student got found guilty yesterday of "three terrorist offences, including circulating bomb-making guides and other terrorist materials." (The Scotsman)He'd put them on the internet. He told folk he wanted to be a suicide bomber. No bombs, no guns, no bugger all. A thought crime. We have thought crimes in this country now.

Please tell the polis all about me so I can go to jail. I wanted to blow up Maggie Thatcher, but only in my imagination. Surely, I could get ten years in solitary for that.

I was speaking to two moslem kids today. They were both doing Ramadan. The twelve year old said he was bothered by the thirst and the sixteen year old said it was the hunger that bothered him the most. He lost seven pounds doing Ramadan last year. He gets up at four in the morning to pray. I've got a lot of respect for that. Allah Akbar. Shame about the jihadi nutters of course.

I'm off to the lobby now. What bliss there will be! Pax vobiscum.

4 comments:

ion said...

Stuart Christie of 'Granny Was an Anarchist'. At one time Thin's bookshop had this on the recommended list, though I haven't read it. My folks' good friend S. (a different one) was at one time President of a Scottish anarchist group, which I found somewhat an oxymoron.

That Glasgow trial last week was IMO a travesty. Convicted of terrorism by searching the internet with a brown skin and a Muslim background. 'Thought crime' puts it very well.

Since you've done the same thing, I suggest you turn yourself in to local copshop tomorrow.

Hotboy said...

Ion: I didn't know about the Granny Made Me An Anarchist book till I looked for his email on google.(Didn't find the email) IMO is new to me. The poor basturn's lawyer was good on the telly last night, but he had a moslem name. I had a lawyer once called Frank Quinn. The kid could have done with the arch hun, whatsisname, Donald Findlay? I used to read a lot of stuff about anarchists. I think the first anarchist cookbook was published by Johan Most, who inspired Emma Goldman, who had a menage a trois with Alexander Berkman ... who shot Andrew Carnegie's partner Frick. Oh, the things I used to know!! Hotboy p.s. A guy I knew tried to turn himself into the polis in Glasgow once (fraud) and they told him they weren't interested and he'd have to go and turn himself in to the Edinburgh polis. How humiliating. Then again, a friend of mine tried to check into the looney bin and they told him to come back when he was straight!

rob said...

Scottish strawberries ar Ra Best.

A friend (not me) tried to turn himself in to the Inland Revenue in Edinburgh, just before migrating to Australia. Told him to go away.

I read that, in Cairo at least, the per-capita amount of food consumed actually goes up during Ramadan. No food during daylight, but then it's an all-night feast. That's my kind of religion.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I believe everybody in these places is dead bad tempered during the day: taxi drivers and the like. The praying (meditating?) five times a day, fasting and giving alms is great. As long as Allah doesn't have a beard and you can disbelieve everything, I might become a moslem yet!! Hotboy